Amazing facts about Winter Olympics
One of the most awaited and popular game event in the world is Winter Olympics. It requires huge amount of snow and ice to take place. Winter Olympics is held once in every four years. This event was first held in French city Chamonix in the year of 1924. It halted for two times only 1940 and 1942, during World War2. Other wise its is continuously taking place in every four years in almost 3 continents. But there are some more amazing facts related with this wonder full event.
So lets have a look of them.
- Till date winter Olympic has been played over 3 continents, which consisted by 12 countries. Among these countries U.S.A hosted maximum number of this sporting event, four times.
- S.A is the only country in this event which has won gold medal in each and every Winter Olympic event.
- Surprisingly Norway has won record number of maximum medals till date.
- Victor Gustaf Balck was the first man who initiated the Nordic Games to Winter Olympic games. After few years later of world war 1 IOC agreed about the creation of a new sports event called Winter Olympic games.
- Third Winter Olympics which was held in 1932 New York,U.S.A. It was the first winter Olympic that was organised out side the Europe.
- Eddie Eagan of U.S.A is the first person in the history of Winter Olympics who has won gold medal in both Summer and Winter Olympics. Eddie won these gold medals in boxing.
- Till 1992 winter and summer Olympics used to be held in same year. But After 1992 both events started to held in separate year. And 1992 both Winter and Summer Olympic games were organised by France.
- Lake Placid, New York which is situated in U.S.A, is the only place where winter Olympics held twice- 1932,1980.
- Figure skating and ice skating was actually part of summer Olympics, but during 1924 it was adopted in winter Olympic.
- Innsbruck, a Austrian city got a chance to organise 1964 winter Olympic games. But during that event due to shortage of snow, Austrian army had to transport huge amount of snow to sporting venue.
- In 1972 games Japan became the first country in Asian continent who got an opportunity to host the winter Olympics.
- During 1980 winter Olympics, Taiwan was known to be the first country, which has boycotted itself from that years event.
- In 1992 winter Olympics a Finnish ski jumper named Toni Neiminen became the youngest champion in ski jumping. He was 16 years old on that time.
- 1998 winter Olympics also saw introduction of some new games like ice hockey. And in that same same year’s event, which was held in Japanese city Nagano. In this winter Olympics for the first time more than 2000 athletics participated.
- In 2014 winter Olympics Russia got the opportunity to host the event first time. Till date it was the one of the costly event in the winter Olympics game history.
- In recent 2018 winter Olympics will be hosted by South Korea. And in 2022 China elected to host that years winter Olympics.